Dozens of corrections officers at New Jersey’s only women’s prison have been placed on paid leave following allegations that staff brutally beat and sexually assaulted inmates there.

One woman, Ajila Nelson, told that officers at the Edna Mahan Correctional Facility on Jan. 11 handcuffed her and others, before punching, kicking, stripping and dragging her to a shower, after which she says an unidentified male officer got on top of her and groped and sexually assaulted her.

The allegations led lawmakers on Thursday to calls for investigations and the firing of the state’s top correctional official.

About 30 officers have been placed on paid leave, according to the corrections officers union.

The newspaper reviewed letters and firsthand accounts with advocates and relatives, in addition to speaking with Nelson in a Tuesday night interview from the prison.

A transgender woman incarcerated at the facility was beaten by a group of officers and three officers stomped on her head, her mother, Trimeka Rollins, told the newspaper. Her daughter’s knee was so badly damaged that she’s now using a wheelchair, Rollins said.

Nelson detailed the severity of the attack in her interview with the newspaper.

“They started throwing punches, throwing punches,” Nelson told “I am cuffed so I can’t defend myself. I can’t stop the punches from coming. All I know is they got me to the floor and they started stomping my head. I started getting dizzy and felt like I was going to pass out. Then they grabbed my arm and bent my arm back. I heard it crack and I felt it crack. I tried to look up and look at my arm. As soon as I looked up, I got kicked in my face with a boot. My whole sight went out.”

The Associated Press doesn’t usually identify victims of sexual assault, but Nelson said she wanted the public to hear about the attack on her and the other women.

Nelson told the newspaper she was eventually administered a rape kit. Her family members told she reported the same details to them.

It’s unclear how many other inmates were involved.

The AP left a message with an attorney for Nelson, who is currently serving a three-year sentence on charges including forgery.

A motive for the attack isn’t clear, but Nelson said she believed it was in retaliation for complaints the women had made against officers.